Piazza San Carlo, known as "il salotto di Torino" (Turin's salon, or drawing room), is one of Europe's largest public squares. On the south side are the twin 17th-century churches of Santa Cristina and San Carlo Borromeo.
The Church of the Croce Dorata works as the funerary chapel of the Municipal Cemetery of the city of Rivoli (Turin) since 1838. The church was erected after a miracle happened in 1680 to Claudio Galasso da Giaglione, who was praying in front of a votive templet depicting the Virgin and was returned the gift of speech. The people, as a thanksgiving for the miracle, built a chapel around the ancient votive templet as it is recorded on the stone plate attached on the façade and dated 1685.